The program “Higher Education Excellence in Development Cooperation” (Exceed) is composed of five higher education institutions in Germany (Technical University Braunschweig, University of Hohenheim, University of Kassel, Cologne University of Applied Sciences and Ludwig-Maximilians-University München) and their partners in developing countries. Exceed was established by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in 2009 and funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) since its inauguration.
The main objectives of the program are:
- Bringing together research and training at higher education institutions in Germany and developing countries with a direct link to the post-2015 development agenda.
- Deepening and expanding education and research on issues of relevance on the topic of development cooperation.
- Establishing competence centers for development cooperation at higher education institutions that can serve as “beacons of excellence” by conducting research that are internationally attractive and competitive.
- Strengthening North-South as well as South-South cooperation in higher education and research.
- Expanding policy analysis and consultancy on issues of development cooperation in developing countries and Germany.
Each of the five Exceed centers concentrate on different topics relevant for the post-2015 development agenda. The centers in cooperation with their partners in developing countries have established Masters and Doctoral degrees, initiated joint research projects, exchanged researchers, published papers and carried out international conferences – thereby contributing to the post-2015 development agenda. Since the 2nd funding phase, the individual centers have started joint activities to further enhance the contribution of Exceed to development cooperation.
By clicking the respective link, you will find further information on the individual Exceed centers, their projects and their partners:
- Excellence Center for Development Cooperation – Sustainable Water Management, Technische Universität Braunschweig
- The Food Security Center (FSC), University of Hohenheim
- International Center for Development and Decent Work (ICDD), University of Kassel
- Center for Natural Resources and Development (CNRD), TH Köln – University of Applied Science
- CIHLMU Center for International Health (LMU), Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München